This area was used by the Îyârhe Nakoda as a regular camping site on their annual seasonal journey between the Morley and Jasper areas. They travelled by foot and horse to hunt and pick medicinal herbs and berries.
It was called Tînda Mîmun [TEEN-dah mee-MUN] meaning “round open meadow (comfortable for camping).” The area stretched from Spray Lakes down across the valley, and later became a regular stopping point on the way to Banff Indian Days. The small mining town of Canmore never extended into this area known as Indian Flats, as it was recognized as Stoney land. Tînda Mîmun was also used extensively in the late 1950s while the Stoney people worked to complete clear-cutting for the new TransCanada highway. The Banff area was a meeting place to trade and have friendly competitions with the Kootenay people.
In 1889, due to a rockslide blocking the Canadian Pacific Railway, Banff Springs Hotel guests were unable to leave the area for several days. The Stoneys were asked to welcome the guests and entertain them with their competitions. What was supposed to be a one-time event, turned into the annual Banff Indian Days, which continued until 1978. The last large Stoney camp at Tînda Mîmun saw nearly 200 teepees of participants on their way to Banff Indian Days. In 2004, Stoney people began working to rekindle those annual celebrations, and the event continues to this day.